Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tidbits

Just a couple of things for the last couple of days weeks (this post has taken me an absured amount of time to fisnish...)
So I went grocery shopping on Thursday. My practice is to keep a running list on the board in my kitchen of things we need. I have the eternal goal of remembering to transfer the list from my white board to a notebook or something I can take with me to the grocery store...so far I haven't quite managed it but that hasn't deterred me from hoping that someday I might succeed in that endeavor.  In the meantime when I get home from grocery shopping I rub off all the things that I remembered from the list as I put them away - leaving the one to three items I've invariably forgotten on my list. Here's the after shot from this week's outing:
Seriously. Besides having written it on my list (twice) I had had the added reminder of using my last trash bag that very morning so it was very fresh on my mind. If I hadn't been out the door to get groceries when I used my last trash bag I would have written it on the list again. All's well now. I once again can throw my trash away.

Shortly after the grocery incident Emmuska was taking pictures with her camera. She decided she wanted to take alphabet pictures (pictures of items that start with various letters of the alphabet). Naturally she started with 'a' and since our house apparently has a shortage of alligators we had to come up with something else. I thought I had struck on something really good when I said 'Hey we how about art? We have a piece of art. Do you know what art is Muska?' to which Emmuska responded 'Yeah, it's something people do because they like to do it.' And there you have it - art is apparently another word for hobby.

Possibly coming in as the world's youngest back seat driver Emmuska has been extremely helpful in reminding me the rules of vehicular operation. As we were driving down to town on day Emmuska informed me that 'we didn't want to hit the mail boxes...'cause that would be bad.  Look out! There's a mail box! Don't hit it!' Despite a mailbox being one of the things I haven't hit in my years of driving this warning was shouted out for every mail box we passed on the twenty five minute drive down to town. The only respite from mailbox warnings was when she was telling me which direction to go. "Go that way." Kiddo which way? I can't see you because you are behind me." "That way...on the black." "Oh on the black." "Yeah you always want to drive on the black because you don't want to drive on the green grass...that would be bad. Grass isn't for driving on it's for other things but it's bad when you drive on it. Always stay on the black." This point may have been reiterated a time or two more but you get the idea. And this was on a day when I had been driving really well.  You can imagine what it's like when I've made any sort of mistake (hit a bump, come up on a car too fast etc.) Still fear of the never ending lecture from my four year old should I make a mistake keeps me in line way better than the shadowy threat of getting pulled over. So in the long run I thank her.

And finally I thought I'd share this text message I received as it completely made my day: "Right? It's such a pain to add words to my dictionary too! (I'd just mentioned that I wished I could cut and paste words sent to me so I didn't have to type them into my phone's text message dictionary.) Although my dictionary people were snobs and hoighty toighty. I know this because they have words like totalitarianism and obsequious but not ouch, snobs or hoighty toighty :)"  *For the record my dear texting buddy Microsoft word doesn't consider hoighty toighty a word either...sorry.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'd just like to point out that you should have dedicated that last paragraph to me :D I mean, if not for me would we have thought about totalitarianism or obsequious? Or the fact that these dictionary people (who totally ARE snobs) are indeed snobs :D Love you! Love the post! Did you do that trash bag thing twice though? I thought I'd seen it before somewhere...

Anonymous said...

Funnily enough, my phone doesn't have that option for texting where you can switch the word from a different one that would have been spelled with the same keys. It assumes that whatever one it chose is the one you want. This is a really pain (because I have to switch back to Abc and then back to Word) for words like 'me' (it chooses 'of') and 'happy' (it chooses 'gassy'. Like I will want to choose that one more often than 'happy'. Right.)

Jen said...

I just love the fact that you have lists. I am lucky to scrounge up a shopping list on the way to the store. But again you amaze me, you are so organized! I just love how Emmuska "Helps" you drive. She is so cute and really reminds me of having your personality. She is an amazing little girl!