In the last three plus years I've tried different online photo processing centers I've had the opportunity to share, compare and evolve my opinions - which I thought I would share with all of you.
I've always been a huge fan of Snapfish (www.snapfish.com) I don't even remember how I found Snapfish but I've always loved it. Their prices are really good, (and they have wonderful sales a couple times a year where you can get 50 prints for 50 cents plus shipping and handling). Their site is really user friendly and you can order prints to be picked up at many different locations in town (Walgreen's and Staples come to mind immediately but there are others). My favorite feature though is that they offer what they call 'true digital' prints. Apparently digital cameras don't take 4x6 pictures so most places crop the photo (usually a bit off of each 6 inch side). A lot of time this isn't that big of a deal but I can't tell you how many times I framed the shot perfectly and ended up with somebody missing half their head. Frustrating. So I love that you can just click this option and get your photos the way you took them. Unfortunately this is only offered to mail order options - not local pick up.
Recently I was offered free prints (quite a lot actually) from Shutterfly (www.shutterfly.com) to try their service. I thought 'Hey free prints I can give it a try'. At first I was really frustrated with their website - it was very different from Snapfish's and I felt more difficult to use. Their upload option wasn't quite as easy to use as Snapfish's either nor did they have the 'true digital' option so I had to go through and make sure each picture was okay and wouldn't be missing something when it got cropped. After the order was placed I was pretty sure I wouldn't be using it anytime soon. However they had a couple really redeeming qualities. First you have the option of canceling your order (in a certain amount of time - I don't remember exactly how long now) if you made a mistake or realized you are going to need them faster. Also once I received my order I was completely impressed. The photo quality was amazing. Snapfish's photo quality is good - Shutterfly's was incredible. Of course they are more expensive - 15 cents per print as compared with 9 cents from Snapfish (mail order price; 4x6) but also very well done. They can also be printed and picked up in town from Target - I don't know of any other store they work through. One should note that all in store pickup is more expensive - Snapfish and Shutterfly alike. Another couple features I really like about Shutterfly is that you can put a message/note on the back of the picture - keeps me from having to do it later. Also most recently I've discovered that I can create a website through Shutterfly wherein I'm able to upload to my Shutterfly account, then I can share on the website or order - I think others can order too - not sure yet still have to look into it more but it looks like a great way to keep my photos together and still be able to share. So I think that the majority of my photos will end up over there your more than welcome to check it out. (http://todaywelove.shutterfly.com/) Let me know what you think.
2 comments:
What a GREAT article. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on Shutterfly verses Snapfish. I guess I will have to get a Shutterfly account. All I needed was ONE MORE ACCOUNT!
So, overall you'd recommend shutterfly eh? Interesting- I've never even heard of it! Thanks Steph!
Post a Comment