Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Some Additional Information

Regarding a question left in the comment section by a loyal (quite possibly solitary...) reader. Since when and how is Mycal faculty at the university allowing me to enjoy the benefit of a couple free classes. Mycal is smart. I know that you all already know this but it's the basis of this post so I thought I would mention it. You see many cadets (that I've encountered) don't really think about where or what they will be doing after they commission. It is generally assumed that they will be in their next training assignment pretty quickly afterwards. This actually rarely happens so often times they have to get some sort temporary job while they wait or work as an instructor at a previous training camp. Mycal foresaw the probability of not being able to get orders into training immediately after commissioning and made sure that he had one of the two positions at the ROTC house until his training date in February. It's really amazing it all worked out because you have to be able to work for at least 45 days to get the position and Mycal had something like 48 until he had to leave - talk about be watched over. Anyway apparently working for ROTC makes you faculty of the university (at least at this particular institution). As faculty his spouse is allowed to take six credit hours free. Yay for me. On that note it was a little bit of a struggle to get into classes that would work. I'm about 20 credit hours away from an associates degree and needed to get specific credits (a diversity credit, computer science, humanities, creative arts etc.) as defined by the school. I also had to take these classes during times when I'm most likely to have a babysitter - especially with Mycal leaving - and when the kids will be the happiest for a babysitter. I was pretty thrilled when I found all my particular needs available from 7-9am on Mon. Wed. and Fri. Alas it was not to be it turned out that these courses wouldn't work for me so I went to change them - amazingly enough finding the only other classes taught at that time with a couple seats still open. Turns out they are actually on an extension campus that I had no way to get to. Thankfully we managed to find two classes that fulfill credits I need online. (I'm pretty sure they are about the only online classes still available.) So long story short we finally got my classes to work with my schedule and I'm all set to go. Let's just hope the class work is easier than registering for them was.

2 comments:

SuZan said...

How exciting! I am so HAPPY for you. The opportunity to go to school is AWESOME. Yes, Mycal is a genius!!!!!

Bonnie said...

Oh Steph, that's so exciting! So what classes are you taking now that you can?