Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Pool Play

After a couple of really hot days I decided to pull out the kiddy pool we have that I had recently unearthed in my never ending quest to get all of our household goods put away. Of course it was the kind that you have to blow up so I set to work filling the thing with air. Thankfully my bicycle pump has an attachment that fit the pool. More than two hours later, my arms about ready to give (despite the help I received from my two favorite helpers) we had managed to fill up the first two layers. Good enough for me!
So I sent the kids into the house to change into their swimwear and went about the much easier task of filling the pool with water. By this point in the day it was pushing five o'clock and large clouds had started to roll across the sky. What had been an incredibly hot day when we started out on this venture was quickly turning into a cool evening. Still the girls (read Emmuska - Liberty wasn't too sure about this whole deal for most of the time she spent in the pool...) enjoyed a bit of time in the pool. As the pictures may convey Emmuska had a ball - she was incredibly reluctant to give up the joys of the pool even though her teeth had started to chatter and there was a blue tinge to her lips.
Turns out that the ominous looking clouds rolling in did indeed carry a storm and as it would happen it was the storm that carried in fall. After that storm one could tell that the weather had shifted out of summer. It was pretty chilly for the next few days putting further use of the pool out of the question. By the time it was warm enough (at least during the day - the nights are still definitely cooler) to play with the pool I think the neighbors cat had tried to see what it was all about as one layer was flat even though it was still plugged up. I've since let the air out and am trying to decide if I should pack it away for next summer (maybe I can find the hole and fix it?) or just throw it away. Despite the fact that the two plus hours of work resulted in play time of maybe thirty minutes the pictures are priceless. It's good to know that Emmuska will make my hard work feel worth while in the long run.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh I'm so glad! I love pools- but my vote goes for just throwing it away- you can buy a new one next summer. Who knows? Maybe they'll have self-inflatable ones! :D

SuZan said...

Life is funny that way. It always seems to take forever to create something and then just minutes to use/consume it.

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures though! Half the fun is in the journey, right? (I know, I don't always feel that way either).
Baby yet? What's the deal?