Emmuska, being the weed that she is, really needed new shoes so off we went to find some. I'm not sure where she gleaned the information (because I didn't say anything...) but this seemed to be the catalyst for the revelation that there are many different types of shoes.
'Mom these are sneakers.' she said of her newly acquired shoes.
'Yes they are.'
'Sneakers are a type of shoe.'
'Yes they are.'
'Hikers are a type of shoe too.'
'Yes they are.'
'Church shoes and boots are types of shoes too.'
'Yes they are.'
'And clappy shoes...'
'Tap shoes'
'Yeah tap shoes are a type of shoe too.'
'Yes they are.'
'And parachutes are a type of shoe too.'
'No parachutes are like really big umbrellas that help people jump out of airplanes. Perhaps you mean pair of shoes which means a set of shoes or two shoes that are the same.'
'Pair of shoes are a type of shoe too.'
'No a pair of shoes is a set like Liberty is wearing two shoes that are the same that is a pair of shoes. You are wearing two shoes that are the same that is a pair of shoes.'
'So a parachute is a type of shoe too.'
'No a parachute is a really big umbrella that helps people jump out of airplanes.'
'Then a pair of shoes is a type of shoe.'
'No...'
Yeah it went on like that for a while. I'm not sure I've convinced her otherwise so for all I know if I hadn't gone off to take care of something else we might still be having this conversation.
4 comments:
Your kids have some of the FUNNIEST things to say! I can't even imagine what it must be like to live with them; probably a lot like laughing all day! So funny!
I have finally caught my breath! That conversation had me in stitches (HUM, I wonder where that saying came from) Oh, maybe it means like stitch in your side. I was imagining something like cross stitch stiches.
Word is scherp which is a new fangled way of spelling syrup.
Ha! Love it! That can be our secret code now when talking about shoes "So Steph, did you see those parachutes the other day? Gorgeous!" Your girls are so funny!
And Val And SuZan both, welcome to the word verification game! :D I think it originally happened when I got a word that was a real word (which is SUCH a treat when it happens-- it's like Christmas!) and then Steph and I just started talking about how some words sounded like real words and it just evolved from there. It's so much fun to do though! And I just love it- anyone can play, the more the merrier right Steph?
The word is 'deche' which I'm pretty sure is the noise you make when you're trying to say yes to a question but are drinking and or eating at the same time as so it comes out as deche.
Post a Comment