Pages

Friday, November 14, 2008

Liberty - no longer a baby.

I love it when babies transition into being toddlers. It is so much fun to see them figure so many new things out and gain more skills and preferences. I love seeing their unique personality come through more clearly each day. Last night was one such strikingly clear moment for me with Liberty. I was in the living room working on the computer with her on my lap when she decided to get down. Fine with me since she didn't make a huge scene wherein I am left confused as to what she wants. So I sit there and watch her as she takes a couple of steps away at which point she turns around in a somewhat annoyed manner and puts her hand out to me, clearly indicating that I am far too slow in getting myself ready to walk with her, but it is okay because she is patient and will wait for me (what a sweetheart eh?) So I stand up and hold her hand as she walks over to the table and points at what she wants - a cup that I had put there earlier because she had not wanted it back when I offered it originally. She gives me a pleased smile, obviously happy that I am not making it difficult to understand her (as I supposed I am wont to do as I am not to her desired level of mind reading yet). We stand there as she drinks the contents then she grabs my hand again and walk into the kitchen to the water jug. She hand me her cup and is once again thrilled that with minimal coercion on her part I understand and oblige her unspoken request by filling the cup with water. Later she takes me to the fridge, when I open it for her she considers the three options and works to pull her choice out. With a little help she gets it, walks across the kitchen hands the milk to me and then takes it back to the fridge after I fill up the cup. After closing the refrigerator door she comes to me, gets the cup then walks back into the living room. She has always known exactly what she wants (much like her older sister...) - I just love that now she knows better ways of getting it.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Did she really do that? Ah that is too cute--your little girls all growing up! I guess I owe you a little something from Walmart now...