Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Celebrating

I absolutely love my birthday. I look forward to it each year. When I was a little younger I used to have an exact countdown from the first of the year to my birthday and would (honestly) tell everybody I talked to how many days away it was. Mind you that wasn't all that long ago. Since then I have mellowed in my approach realizing that most people probably don't really want to know when there are 87 days to my birthday. I'm not quite sure what exactly it is that I so love about my birthday. It isn't really about me getting older because - let's face it there aren't exactly any new rites of passage with age for me anymore. I don't think that it's really about the presents or the cake - although those are always so much fun and much appreciated (okay it might be a little about the cake...) I think what I really love about my birthday is that it is my special day to celebrate me. For twenty four hours I get to revel in the fact that (in my mind anyway) everything is honoring my existence, my contribution to life. I think that in some way I really let myself appreciate all that I am and manage to do and how important I am. It's something that can be easy to forget in the insanely busy life of moving here, fixing that, going to this and making sure I get all my school work done on top of everything else. So I love the chance to sit back and really see how much what I do matters.

This year was wonderful. It ended up being a really nice birthday. I missed Mycal and it would have been more fun if I'd been able to do something with him too, but as it was I had a completely enjoyable birthday doing things I love to do with people I enjoy being around. The elements favored me so it was a gorgeous day. Grandpa watched Emmuska and Liberty was extraordinarily bright and happy. It was a wonderful day and it felt like almost everyone and everything was celebrating it with me.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Ah hem- let's not forget the mounds of oreos. Just kidding! :)

Anonymous said...

Stiffy,
REALLY glad to hear that your birthday was so great! Just wish we could've been there celebrating (cake and all) with you!