Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On Fire

Yesterday I was singing a song which lyrics included something about a guy and 200 degrees. Of course Emmuska wanted to talk to me about it:
"So is 200 degrees really hot or really cold?"
"It's really hot."
"Oh...so did the guy die?"
"What guy?"
"The guy who was 200 degrees - if he was really hot did he burn up and die?"
"Kiddo it's just a song there wasn't really any guy."
"Oh...but did he burn up and die?"
"Um...well it's just a song but no he didn't die.  Sometimes we say things to make a comparison. It's life if I said you are so pretty you could be a flower. Are you really a flower?"
"No...but I am really pretty."
"Yes you are. Anyhow sometimes when somebody is doing really awesome we say they are on fire. It's a way of saying they are doing really well at something. (She was practicing writing letters at the time) So I could say 'Emmuska you are doing really well on those Y's - you're on fire!' Are you burning?"
"Nope." (maybe a minute later) "Hey Mom look at my Z."
"That is a really good looking Z."
"Yeah you can tell me I'm on fire."
"You're doing great on your Z's. You are definitely on fire."
"Yeah but not 'cause I'm burning - because I'm so dang freakin' awesome!" (yes that was exactly what she said...I might need to clean up my language a little. ;)
And while I was trying to write that conversation we had this conversation:
"When I grow up I'm going to Hannah Montana." (I'm still not sure where she found about Hannah Montana but she loves her and this family can often be found on a Friday or Saturday evening watching an episode or two courtesy of Netflix.)
"Really?"
"Yeah and then I'll have to have a lot of shoes."
"Well that will be your prerogative kiddo." (Yes I used 'prerogative' - and I wonder why she zones me out sometimes...)
"Because Hannah Montana has a lot of shoes. You need to start buying me more shoes."
I'm sitting here thinking 1) I didn't know you loved shoes so much 2) Does one need a lot of shoes to be a pop star? I always assumed it was more of a by product but maybe there's a degree of it being the other way around. 3) We could go shoe shopping together. (unlike what we do now ;) What I say is:
"Well Hannah Montana has a lot of shoes because people pay her to sing so she has money to buy a lot of shoes. If you become Hannah Montana you'll be able to buy your own shoes."
Of course by this point she's onto another aspect of this future plan already.
"Yeah I'll sing and you can be on stage as my violiner."
I'm wondering if she's thinking guitarist but say "Violinist?"
"Yeah violinist. And Dad can be the drummist (It seemed cruel to correct her at this point - why do we have to keep changing the rules anyway?) and Liberty...(she had wanted to let Liberty sing but that was her job and clearly she doesn't know about back up singers) you can dance." Then she turns to me again "but Mom I don't know how to sing too well yet so you need to make me a CD so I can practice."
"Will do."

4 comments:

SuZan said...

I have finally stopped laughing long enough to respond to this hilarious post.

"dang freakin' awesome???? where on earth is she hearing these words???
"drummist" well I guess that is way up the ladder from "dumbest".

Emmuska,

I think you passed your fire to me because after laughing uncontrollably for several minutes I feel like I am about to burn up.

Bonnie said...

Slight technical error on that last sentence- I believe it should say sing instead of see-

In other news- to hilarious for words!!! That girl so totally cracks me up! I cannot WAIT to have conversations with her!

Bonnie said...

On a side note was that song a song done by Queen? I'm just wondering if we're thinking of the same song...

Anonymous said...

Bonnie, I'm thinking it was that song done by Queen- Supersonic Man or something like that. I could go into the lyrics if I needed to...but Steph might have something else in mind. Anyway...
I was laughing so hard, that from the kitchen Jake thought I was having a breakdown and crying. Then I read it to him so he could laugh too. That girl is a riot!!