Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

Visit with Poppa (aka S. David meets his namesake or where in S. David and David S. are introduced)

A couple of weeks ago the kids and I had a chance to meet up with my Dad. For those of you who don't know he is currently trucking and the highway near where we live is one that he drives semi frequently. As he would be passing in the middle of the day and would have to stop for gas at some point anyway we decided to meet up at the fueling station (they don't call them gas stations - and I might have gotten that wrong...I just remembered I was corrected when I called it a gas station) about forty-five minutes from where I live. Quite naturally we couldn't pass up this opportunity to see each other. S. David (as he is regularly called by my father) was in every way his happy smiling self - instantly winning over his Poppa. We snapped a couple of pictures on what was the first beautiful Friday in the last couple of months...so beautiful that blazing sun didn't quite make for ideal photography...still.... I love this picture of the two of them...great chance to pick out all the similarities.
Here's Samuel talking with Poppa. He's such a charmer. He spends most of the time anybody is holding him staring at them, smiling, talking and generally making that person feel supremely important.
I got the call that we would be able to meet up while doing my grocery shopping so was able to pick up a few things for them (my dad's trucking partner is his brother) that they wouldn't normally be able to get at a rest stop such as non-bruised fruit, cherry tomatoes and a necessary box of Little Debbie snacks. Emmuska was so excited about delivering this bag of goodies that it was only through sheer parental skill that said fruit remained unbruised. She very carefully sorted out Poppa's things from our groceries, put them in a bag and carried them to the car where she sat the bag next to her, her hand protecting it the entire journey. It almost killed her to have to leave it in the car undelivered so we could go inside for a little lunch. Here she is finally handing over 'the goods'.
Snapping some pictures with the kids.

One last hug before he had to go again. It was great to be able to see Dad for a little bit. As much of an adjustment as the road seems to be for him it also seems to be much better for his health than when he was teaching. He seemed much more alive and there than I had seen him in a while and that was really nice. The girls were sad to see him go again but being the optimistic creatures they are decided to focus their attention on when they will get to see him again. I'm with them...can't wait for the next chance.

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh!! I love it!! I tell you I cannot wait to meet this Samuel David character--he must be such a charmer! :D You lukcy Momma, I love you!!! Thanks so much for helping me out today

Anonymous said...

Fun! I wish I could see him too; I think the only time I remember him being in Washington, it was in Lacey (over by Seattle) in the middle of the night. Danggit!
So glad you guys got to visit, and that he got to meet your new one! I can't wait till I get to, too!

SuZan said...

What a special treat! Thanks for sharing. I am so glad that S David was able to meet his Poppa. I look forward to when it is MY turn to see Samuel and have OUR picture taken and then be featured in your blog.

Kay said...

I kind of miss knowing where he always is. There was security in knowing that he was always in Utah! I am glad that you think he is looking better. Love Emmuska's hair!