I've delayed writing this one for a little while. (Partially because I've barely touched my computer in the last week...honestly where has it gone?) I wasn't sure if I should write about my favorite Christmas music because, well quite frankly Christmas music isn't a seasonal thing like decorations for me. It's more like a genre akin to country, pop or rock music. I listen to it at least eight months out of the year - sometimes more. I'm not shy about listening to Christmas music just because I feel like it. It is one of the most listened to playlists on my ipod and the cd's that weren't in storage from March to August. All the time I was thinking about this post I wondered if maybe Christmas music didn't really invoke Christmas for me because I listen to it so often when it's not Christmas. Turns out that isn't true. When I put on 'Sleigh Ride' (done by either The Ronettes or The Boston Pops Orchestra) my heart immediately flutters with joy and my mind shifts over to planning and thinking about all the great things I want to make and do for Christmas. The same can be said for many Christmas songs. Here in no particular order are my top 5 favorite Christmas songs for 2009: (hopefully I can keep it to five ;)
1: Sleigh Ride - I've loved this song forever (okay maybe not forever but at least as long as I've been able to make informed decisions on my preferences...) though to actually make it on this list it has to be either the version done by the Ronettes ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa-hTXE72G0 )or the Boston Pops Orchestra ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4rSocVAD6c ). Nobody else compares to their performances.
2: The Holly and the Ivy - This is a traditional carol from the Renaissance (or so I read somewhere...) and is a little hard to find. Don't know why I just love it. What? Never heard of it? I'm not really surprised I've never heard it on the radio. I stumbled across it when Mycal bought me an obscure Christmas cd. This isn't the best version on YouTube but it's the best with lyrics that I've come across so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57l6dSbVppM&feature=related
3: Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan doing 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings' - okay so I obviously have a thing for traditional carols - still at least you're likely to hear this one on the radio. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVNzgUxE-g
4: Josh Groban singing any Christmas music (its okay you can go ahead and laugh). If I had to narrow it down I would say either his version of Silent Night or Believe ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sFcisgUvGo )
5: Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella - This is a new one for me this year. It's also a bit older - originally written in the mid 1500's but the lyrics are great and the music beautiful. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsrjNi7css )
Wow look at that! I actually kept it to five songs! Okay I'm immensely proud of myself right now. It was hard as there are so many great Christmas songs (runners up include 'Once in Royal David's City, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, and The First Noel). It's hard for me to adequately describe why I enjoy these songs so much. Part of it is the peace and joy with which they fill me...which may be why I listen to them frequently.
2 comments:
I have never ever heard of 2 of those songs! Way to expand my knowledge!!! And I agree completely, anything by Josh or Michael and I am a gone woman :D Particularly Believe
I know I said this in the last post but I love how you define christmas! You make it so much better for simpler folk like me. I just love that you narrow it down. It really is so fun for me to read. I also love how you listen to christmas music throughout the year. I always want to but never have. Thanks for sharing, you really make life so fun and intriguing (I don't know how to spell that, sorry).
Post a Comment