For the last six months or so I've wanted to do a post filled with little tidbits about me or one of the other members of our household - but mostly about me because well I just know the most about me. But then the last six months slipped by in a very silent and unreasonable fashion (my head is still reeling that it is almost August...what happened to February (March...April...)?) and I never pulled the grand vision that was swirling around in my head into a real post. Then today as I sat contemplating what to blog about (since blogging more is a top goal on my list right now) but not wanting to do the amount of work I normally put into a blog post I came up with the idea of breaking this grand idea down into many little posts. Just every now and then throwing out another little tidbit that you may or may not (and possibly don't ever want to...) know about me. This way whenever I'm short on blogging ideas (ha! I've got tons of ideas...) or just being blog lazy (far more likely...) I can just sit down and throw out another little tidbit about me. Everybody with me? Everybody excited!? Here we go!
I LOVE the smell of melting butter. Actually in all reality I love the smell of many things - bread in the oven, (actually just about anything cooking in the oven when it has reached that moment of done-ness and smells divine - I've noticed that just about all foods have this point, that is the point when they smell done and just when this smell hits the living room I know it's time to pull that sucker out because it's ready for eating. Crazy I know but I've become an olfactic cook), babies skin and hair, babies milky breath (at least breast fed babies...don't know about formula - I don't have any real experience there), homemade chicken noodle soup, wood fires, fires burning in fall, fires burning in winter (yes they smell very different), apple cider - especially in the fall but not limited to just then, rain storms, chipotle...okay I think you get the idea. The point is I love to smell my world even the things I don't like the smell of I'd rather smell them than not. When it comes to the worst diaper changes or cleaning out the mystery smell that has developed in one of the girls car seats rather than in some way blocking my olfactic sense through mouth breathing or some other technique I have an odd need to breathe in through my nose and experience the smell. It's as though that is how I connect to aspects of my life and rather than missing an unpleasant moment I need to breathe it in and store it away in my catalog of experiences/knowledge/skills.
4 comments:
...It's blank...is this a planned thing waiting for a humorous comment or is it just blank?
Sorry about the whole blank post for a little bit thing - if you weren't so on the ball you wouldn't have noticed ;) I accidentally hit the enter button after typing in the title which published the post - only I hadn't written the rest of it. Sometimes blogger is a little crazy.
Well, who am I but your most devoted commenter? I have to be on the ball- it's me! :P
Anyways- that is awesome! I never realized you were such an olfactory scented person-- tell me how do you feel about the smell of freshly cut grass? That's one of my favorites
I have never really thought of my sense of smell but now that you brought it up I have contemplated several strange things. One thing is that sometimes I actually like the smell of skunk. I think it has to be a bit aged. I am not sure exactly when it becomes acceptable. I don't ever think of it as actually enjoyable.
Lately I have been doing a lot with essential oils. The plant world is amazing with its diversity of smells especially in concentrated form. I now have a closet dedicated to the healing arts. It is a little bit of heaven to walk in there a take a deep breath. I have yet to identify what I am smelling but it is divine!
A lot of time has been spent determining if someone learns best by seeing, hearing or touching. I wonder if anything has been studied concerning learning and the sense of smell. I think smelling is lumped into tactile learning. What do you think?
Post a Comment