Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

On Clubhouses

It seems as though clubhouses and children go together like me and food. The girls are constantly searching out and making their own little clubhouses. Said clubhouses usually entail a blanket draped over a chair and if they are lucky something else - adequate but only able to fit one person comfortably. So this spring there were a pretty fair number of fights over the fact that Emmuska would make a clubhouse to which Liberty would demand entrance, which demand was met with a flat no as there wasn't enough room, which refusal was met with an ignoring ear as Liberty tried to get in (because she wants to be in the cool clubhouse too) which would all result in a fight.  Finally in one of my moments of inspiration akin to the finger painting episode I said something to the effect that I would make a clubhouse big enough for both of them. (Yes I'm still working on seeking out help as regards this disorder of volunteering for insane projects...) Said clubhouse turned out like so:
Not too shabby eh? Actually it was a pretty nice clubhouse but quite naturally took a bit more work than I had anticipated (most of my 'brilliant' ideas do :D). In my head I saw me whipping this thing together and it just staying - wind and old cloths pins had different ideas.

Of course once the clubhouse was up it had to be decorated. Here Liberty seriously surveys the surroundings to best determine aesthetically pleasing blanket locations.
Yes. Right there will work just fine.
And there you have the interior of our well constructed and perfectly decorated clubhouse. Take a moment and note the snack 'table' on the bottom right corner of the picture. Because no clubhouse is complete without snacks.
Liberty - off to retrieve something else that the clubhouse needs to function properly.
Cheese sticks, apple sauce, graham crackers and yogurt. A veritable feast of clubhouse foods. - Time to dig in and fill those tummies left hungry from a days hard work.
I was pleased by how much the dogs enjoyed the clubhouse as well. It's always satisfying to see one's work appreciated by so many.
Of course the wind picked up so by the end of the day the clubhouse was once again in individual pieces waiting for our next attempt. Still it was a lot of fun and now we have a trampoline to aid in our clubhouse making. Next time we make one it will surely be a breeze. ;)

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

You remember our wooden house that we got for your birthday that one time? That we could always put up and take down-- the one we loved, probably literally- to pieces? You should get one!!! Drape a blanket over the top and it's a perfect clubhouse!

SuZan said...

Your photography and writing skills never fail to amaze me. You are so CLEVER with words. The last line put me in stitches.

Mycal and Elizabeth LOVED club houses. I finally decided to make a permanent portable clubhouse. That might seem like a oxymoron but it is actually an accurate description. I bought 20 foot lengths of white PVC pipe and put together a frame. Then Mary Poppins in the form of Auntie Doris whipped together a cover for the frame. If I can find a picture, I will post it on my blog at www.avidlearningcenter.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I loved the entire post; what cracked me up the most on this particular one, was how you used yourself as a comparison in your own metaphor! Kids to clubhouses is like Steph to food...that had me rolling!!