Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Still alive...

I know that it's been a while (by my standards at any rate...) and I can understand why some people might think I've could have possibly been mortally wounded. I'm happy to report that I am still alive and well - as is everybody in our family. In fact the level of excitement has been at the perfect point for blogging, just enough to have something to write about without being so much as too keep us away from the computer. Truth is I've discovered that skipping out on blogging is like skipping out on school. You sluff one day figuring it's not really a big deal but the next day it's really hard to motivate yourself to go back so you decide 'well it's just one more day...' and pretty soon a week has gone by and now it really sucks getting back. I know this to be true because I routinely missed a week of school every spring because I just couldn't bring myself to go back after that 'one' great day where it just didn't make sense to go to school. The sad thing was that the make up work wasn't the deterrent to going back - shoot the make up work was the easiest part of going back because that usually took all of two hours to catch up on (for all six classes...my school wasn't particularily challenging...) it was trying to explain to people (friends and teachers) what happened to me for a week. 'I woke up in a strange hospital not knowing my name until somebody accidently dropped something on my head and I could suddenly remember everything...yes even how to conjugate all the verbs for this test.' 'My grandmother was dying...yes I know I said that last year but she got better...and she did this year too...I'm guessing she will be fine until next spring but you never know.' 'I was unexpectedly given the opportunity to visit (someplace relevant to the class Washington D.C., Spain, Japan...whatever) and felt the chance for practical learning was too good to pass up...no I can't remember the name of the organization that was funding the venture.' See the thing is that even though I was able to return, catch up and maintain an A for the rest of the school year 'I just didn't feel like coming to school for a week' was not an acceptable excuse. I think I told one teacher that I clearly didn't need to be there as they were still going over the exact same idea as when I had left (I kid you not) and that I had understood the concept two days before I stopped coming so obviously I didn't miss much. He appreciated the validity of the statement but not the sentiment behind it.

But I have digressed (a lot) the point is that apparently blog sluffing is much like school sluffing. Except in the case of blog sluffing it will actually take me a decent amount of time to catch up on whats been going on around here. And I don't have to come up with a good reason because I'm only accountable to myself. Sometimes the benefits of being an adult outweigh the downsides... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um, hilarious. And seriously, was it just the one week in the spring? I thought we missed a lot more school than that, toward the end there... :)