Onto my brilliant moment of insight - here you see four glitter glue pens in Liberty's backpack. They are great as art supplies for the kids but a bit on the messy side and lately all over the house. (The craft room is an unbelievable mess so not really being used at the moment...) While I don't like Emmuska getting into them without my awareness she's usually pretty careful Liberty however is another matter altogether. However she also gets very upset when she can't hold them. Generally upset doesn't really bother me. I'm in the habit of upsetting daily - at the very least. Yet I don't like to do it more often than necessary especially with Liberty because it can result in really bad break-outs of the eczema on her face. So I try to pick my battles carefully. I didn't want to fight over the glue pens but would have if it came to that. However a good compromise was available. She didn't want to surrender possession of her best tool for glitter graffiti however putting said equipment into her backpack still counted as being in her possession but was still inaccessible unless I got it out as she isn't quite coordinated enough to reach back there and grab them. It had the added bonus of creating an alarm system if Emmuska tried to get her hands on them. Liberty would know about it and immediately let out a wail. It was amazing - no stepping on drying glue covered pictures today! I saved the non-glittered status of some of my walls and floors as well as a fight. It was a happy mom moment. (I would say blissful but I recently realized that bliss is picking up and finding a gummy snack wrapper with one or two snacks still inside. Love it! Seriously it makes picking up like a treasure hunt and every time you stumble across the aforementioned scenario it's like finding a little piece of ingestible joy!)
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Moment of Mothering Wisdom
Not this part...this was just funny and went really well with the last post. Yes she fell asleep bundled in her blanket standing next to the couch. I have no idea why she isn't curled up somewhere or gosh even sitting on the couch. Usually a scene like this happens because said child is throwing a fit standing next to an article of furniture and simply falls asleep out of exhaustion. Not this time. She wandered into the kitchen to see what I was doing (washing dishes) left and when I came out to see what she was doing not five minutes later this sight is what I was greeted with. My kids are funny.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Way to go! Look at that mothering wonderfulness-- who'd have ever thought that such an easy compromise was within reach of us all? No fighting, no glitter glue, ah, happy happy days
That was a pretty amazing solution, something I probably never would have thought of. You say your in the habit of upsetting daily, mine is probably minutely. I can't seem to negotiate with Tiedyn. He is always ending up with something he shouldn't have and if I just let him have it it either ends up hurting him in some way or being broken and then Kelton is upset. So it sounds like you do pretty good!
It is amazing the things that start coming to your mind...I never would have thought of that! Congratulations on the very obvious victory!!
Genius! You must be related to Solomon. He too figured out how to solve many unsolvable problems.
Post a Comment