Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Irony

Okay I'm not positive that this is a true case of irony (from what I can recall of three weeks in an English class a while back...) but it seemed so to me. At the very least it is quite humorous.

A couple weeks ago we acquired a diesel 1988 Ford F250. It apparently has a history of neglect and probably abuse, so like anything living thing who has had such a background it is a little temperamental. Mycal recently told me that it is his faith truck because he has to pray every time he tries to start it. It takes a lot of cajoling to get going.

Last night Mycal went out to start it (something that needs to be done at least once a day) to make sure it would be ready for 4:30 this morning when he needs to head off to PT. After a few minutes of trying (and praying) he got it going. I breathed a sigh of relief - we had another day of a functioning truck. That was until Mycal came inside. "Well I got it going but I can't turn it off" I thought he was kidding until he held up the keys. Of course I could still hear the behemoth idling out front at which point my disbelief turned to mirth. What were the odds that the truck we could barely get to start would now have a problem turning off. I had always assumed that it preferred to be left alone but now it appears that it just likes to be contrary.

Long story short Mycal did everything he could think of to stop the truck, disconnecting the batteries, pulling all fuses etc. He eventually called a towing company because he figured they would be the only people open at the time. He managed to call somebody the first time who knew about diesels and knew exactly which wire to pull to get the truck to stop, so we happily did not have to wait for all the fuel to be gone for it to stop working (which probably would have done some damage to fellow residents as they aren't exactly in the prime of life...)

I know that it will cost something to get whatever is wrong fixed and today I am without a car but in all it is still funny to me - I'm not sure when I'll stop giggling over this one.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

That is most definately a case of irony. Oh my gosh when Thom came in from telling us that all of us were laughing so hard. My stomach hurt and I had tears in my eyes.

*Hope it all turns out ok though

Bonnie said...

*giggle* You can use the un-stoppable truck to get to Walmart for your leggings- no one would dare try and steal that thing. And if they did? Well, we'd certainly have the last laugh

SuZan said...

The truck is worth its weight in gold. I have been at the hospital for a month and nothing has seemed funny until Mycal called all distraught because he couldn't get the truck to turn off. This! after the radiator hose blowing and running out of gass and NOT starting when you need to go somewhere. I hope you have taken a picture. I think you should call it Jester because it make everyone laugh.