Pages

Friday, June 19, 2009

Emmuska on Manners

As anybody who has spent anytime around children can tell you there is much that can be learned from them. Here is what Emmuska taught me yesterday:
After casually tossing a book that is special to me onto the floor I got upset at her telling her that it was inappropriate to treat books - especially that one in such a way. Mycal seeing how upset I was over the treatment of said book told her to give the book a kiss (in order to exemplify to a three year old the level of respect it should receive) to which Emmuska responded:
"But it's not a people."
Valid point - inanimate objects do not receive the same treatment as people. So now I have to figure out a better way to teach treating non-people with respect.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me know what you come up with on that one. :)

Bonnie said...

Grammar error: In the second paragraph it should be 'in order TO exemplify'
Good luck figuring out a way that she won't find a way around! :)

Jen said...

Steph, I absolutely love yours and mycal's parenting. YOu guys handle things so well and I love when you tell us about them. Your stories make me laugh and make me look at parenting in a new way. Plus I love to hear how Emuska and Liberty are devoloping. I can't wait to see the new one (I still think it's a boy!). Love you guys Jen

Pam said...

Which book was it... because some of them definitely deserve a kiss. ;)
Still you could try something like brushing it off and apologizing for hurting it. I mean I talk to inanimate objects all of the time... doesn't matter whether or not they're people.