Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

Being a Peacemaker

Liberty sometimes (read usually) has a hard time laying down and going to sleep on her own and sometimes I don't mind lying down with her and helping her fall asleep but usually I have to finish taking care of tasks for the day so let her cry for a little bit. If it takes her too long to quiet down then I will go in and lay down with her. When she quiets down without my help then I like to check in and see how/where she is (she has a tendency to fall asleep on the floor next to her bed or holding some hugely bulky item that is bound to wake her up later...). Last night was business as usual with Liberty crying while I fed the dogs and put away all perishable leftovers in the kitchen. After a fair amount of protest things became quiet and ten minutes or so later I checked in to see how everything was. There on Emmuska's bed were Liberty and Emmuska huddled over a book.
Me:"Oh, hi girls...ummm what are you doing?"
Emmuska: "I was reading Libster a story to help her be happy. She was very sad that you weren't here so I offered to read her a story."
Needless to say the praise over floweth - I couldn't tell Emmuska enough how much I appreciated her being so nice to Liberty and how helpful it was to think of that (I might have gone overboard a little but I was a rather stunned as it hadn't been the friendliest of evenings so the gesture was completely unexpected). Emmuska just glowed under my enthusiastic response to her solution. Liberty was happy that I had come to my senses and went to lay down and the evening proceeded as usual.
Tonight the article we were reading for family scriptures happened to focus on being a peacemaker. When we were done reading I started talking to Emmuska about being a peacemaker:
"Do you know what a peacemaker is?"
"No"
"It's somebody who tries to make other people by finding solutions to their problems."
-blank look-
"Like how you read a story to Liberty last night. Instead of getting mad at her for being loud and making it hard to sleep you came up with a good solution to make her happy by reading a story to her. That was a good way to be a peacemaker. You found a way to make somebody happy instead of getting mad at them."
Being the center of the example made her even more excited to do it again. In her prayer she asked for help in being a peacemaker and as I was tucking her into bed reassured me that if Liberty got sad she would read her some stories. I was interested to see how this would work out (Liberty being a focused individual sometimes resents being redirected...) However there was not more than ten seconds of crying after I left the bedroom. It's moments like these that make me love being a parent.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Love the story! just out of curiosity were you aware that your title says being a peachmaker, not peacemaker....

SuZan said...

TOO ADORABLE!!!! These are the moments that make being a mother worth all the trauma. I sure hope you snapped a picture.

Kay said...

You are truly blessed by Emmuska. I have a seven year who is still giving me blank looks about obedience. Your little story is a testimony builder about the blessings recieved from daily family scripture study. Way to go Steph!