Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

A reminder why I don't take naps...

I don't do it very often and when I do it is because the situation is one of two scenarios: a) Mycal is alert and watching the girls or b) I was helping Liberty fall asleep and happen to also fall asleep in the process. If it is situation b the only reason I stay asleep is because Emmuska is happily watching a show, playing a computer game or coloring - in short happily engaged in some other event that will keep her busy for a little while. (Trust me if she decides she is bored with any of her options she will come wake me up to do something.) However for some reason I was tricked into laying down for 'just a minute' with Mycal while the girls were watching a show. I've done this before and generally get up very shortly after without falling asleep and go on taking care of the days tasks however this time I fell asleep. Of course it wasn't very long as my brain knew something was going on and quickly got the rest of my body going.
Not more than fifteen minutes after leaving the living room I rushed back into make sure everything was alright. At first I wasn't sure why I had felt such a sense of urgency - both girls were sitting pretty much right were we left them watching the same show (verifying that I hadn't been out all that long...) then I realized what it was. Liberty had decided to paint her nails and had somehow managed to open the bottle of deep purple nail polish. My heart almost stopped - how much had she spilled on the carpet and couch?!? Seeing as both items are not my property and the deposit on our apartment was hefty enough that I'd really like to see it back I was very concerned. As I got the bottle away and started inspecting I was able to breath a sigh of relief. I couldn't find nail polish anywhere but all over my darling second born, she was, of course, another story altogether, but the couch and carpet seemed to be in great shape. These pictures unfortunately don't do justice to the incredible amount of polish on her legs (I'm guessing she was resting her hands on them just like I have her do when I paint her nails) which were quite covered. Nor do they adequately show how well she did do on her fingernails - they were quite well done (of course each digit from the knuckle up was quite well done so it was only a matter of probability that she hit the nail). We tossed the shirt and a week later the only evidence remaining are occasional splotches that I'm finding on the couch (they really blend in with the pattern...) and the pictures I managed to grab. At first she was reluctant to have her picture taken but it didn't take her too long to get into it. A regular glamour girl.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Grammatical error: It should be my second born, not by second born.
But otherwise I was cracking up! Ha, that's what you get for thinking you can sleep

SuZan said...

Elizabeth just came up with another reason that blogging is so great. "Mothers don't have to get upset about mishaps because they see them as something to blog about."

That certainly seems to hold true when it comes to my darling granddaughters. They have an exceptional mom with an incredible sense of humor and unbelievable patience.