Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

To the Last Drop...

For Mycal's Graduation they served water and for some unknown reason bright red fruit punch - one look at this stuff and you knew it was the stuff that stains are made of. Of course it was also the first choice beverage for Emmuska (I'm not sure how we talked Liberty out of it but there wasn't a fight or any tears so it obviously wasn't all that important to her...). Being one of three mothers with young children in the assemblage I was justifiably worried the entire time Emmuska was drinking and eating - constantly keeping an eye on that worrisome red liquid. Meanwhile Emmuska sat blithely drinking the elixar. She enjoyed every swallow and performed magnificently - always being very careful not to spill - even on her shirt (which she considered a napkin so it still got some punch on it...). The same cannot be said for at least one adult in the room. Not to far from where we were sitting a soldier knocked over his entire cup of punch. Emmuska's expression was almost disdainful as she watched the punch soil the carpet "He was not very careful - I'm being very careful and haven't spilled any juice but he was not very careful..."

9 comments:

Jen said...

I can't get over how cute Emmuska and Liberty are! The things they say and do I have never seen any kids do. You guys must be good parents!!! By the way I can't wait to see the third. Me and Kelton got a bet going on (it's a pretty big one!) on whether it is a boy or girl. Can't wait to find out. Love you guys

Amy said...

That is a seriously RED mouth there! My theory is that kids are drawn to the most colorful food available. If something is neon green or blue, Gabriel is all over it...no matter what it tastes like.

Bonnie said...

That IS a staining punch! You need look no further than the fact it stained her mouth!!

(by the by it's performed, not preformed) Love you much!

SuZan said...

You have such a way with words: assemblage!!!, worrisome red liquid, blithely drinking the elixar!!!! It is such a joy to read your posts. Absolutely puts a smile on my face that lasts all day. Thanks

Corey Strange said...

Joker, anyone? But less maniacal... or maybe that's up for debate. Joker with a donkey purse! THAT's Classic! And I don't care who you are, she is NOT almost 4!!

Kay said...

As a Mom I am always worried that whatever activity we are at the kids are going to spill their drink & why are they always attracted to the thing that will never clean up completely! I thinks they are like hummingbirds & are simple attracted to the most colorful sugar filled beverage available. Whenever I am on a planning commitee of any kind my vote is just for water although I will agree to apple juice which doesn't seem to stain. Pioneers never had this problem!

Kay said...

Emmuska did a great job & obviously was very serious about the punch. Unfortunately despite Aurora's best attention she would have spilled or ended up with a red goatee. Something she inherited from an Aunt. I don't need to name names. ;)

Corey Strange said...

Stephanie, first of all I love your blogs. Second of all I am very upset that I have checked all week for a new post and have been disappointed every time. You are in trouble. Now, I happen to be exempt from having to post too often because nothing eventful has happened to me for weeks...so don't get any big ideas...just post about every 2 days and we'll be happy. :)

Anonymous said...

That is the most red punch I have ever seen! I am glad she had a serious disdain for 'not being careful' though! I'm sure that helped with keeping it clean for her.