Busy weekend - starting with the tick episode...happily it got much better after that. We were planning on heading off for a day trip on Friday but put it off as we decided to sleep in instead (it had been a long night before...) Since we were still in town we headed over to the base and decided to rent a tent and couple of sleeping bags and for a short camping trip. We pretty much spent the rest of the day cleaning up and getting ready to go before deciding to not leave until the next day. (What can I say - sometimes we procrastinate a little bit.) Since we were still in town I went to the local craft store to meet with the stitching group. Everybody else was knitting whilst I worked on my cross stitch as all of my knitting things are in storage. I had never thought about how different scrapbookers are from knitters but there is was definitely a big difference between the two different groups I've met in the same place. I guess I hadn't really thought about it because well I'm a scrapbooker and a knitter and I'm not exactly plagued with multiple personalities. No offense to any knitters out there (hey I'm a proud knitter) but they don't seem to be as much fun. I think that 'proper' would be the best word to describe them. It's not like they were all older than me - half the group was my age - but they talked and sat and acted like very refined sixty-something women from the Victorian age. Not that that can't be fun...it just wasn't as much fun. Anyhow it was still good to get out and meet a couple more people in the area and get some good work done on my cross stitch (four years and counting - someday I'll be halfway done!)
Saturday morning we finished packing up and headed off to Nauvoo Il. For those of you not familiar with Nauvoo it's one of the United States largest historical preservation sites. Preservation has mostly been done by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints as it was a large and successful settlement founded by members of the church before they were driven out by mobs. About forty years ago LDS church leaders started buying and restoring homes and land recreating portions of the town to it's 1840's heyday. Now one can go through various homes and landmarks and learn what life in that time and place would have been like. From a historical perspective it's very interesting and fun. Added to that was the opportunity we had to be in a place of religious significance for us. We were excited for the chance to be there. Of course it did entail a five hour drive there and of course back - which actually ended up being one of the highlights of the journey. The kids did great with the driving and Mycal and I had a good chance to talk with minimal interruptions. I'll get more details on the trip up later but overall it was a wonderful family experience full of fun moments and great memories.
After getting back we returned the camping equipment and settled back into being home for the night, calling family and getting back into life at home. Today (Monday) we went to a birthday party for the child of one of Mycal's classmates (if that wasn't a little confusing...) We weren't sure if we wanted go but it ended up being a lot of fun. That and I was able to start my personal crusade against photographic piracy (more on that later...) which was encouraging. Now we are back at home and I'm attempting to get the blog caught up with at least the most memorable moments from the past few days - which I know matters to oh so many.
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and had at least a moment to say a prayer for those who died defending our country.
3 comments:
Hmm, much more fun than my weekend was. *sigh* that's ok Steph, someday I'll be awesome like you :)
I can NOT believe you forgot to tell about the BEST part. You know, the part where you called your mother-in-law so she would use her superhuman internet skills to find a camp ground where you could pitch a tent. She, of course performed her labors magnificiantly. Later, she gets a call asking for a replay on the phone numbers because it was now time to pitch the tent, but Camp Nauvoo was no where to be found. Then just as directions were about to be divulged YOUR cell phone gave up the ghost or got lost or something and your very RESOURCEFUL, superhuman, internet savvy mother-in-law provided the needed information through TEXTING!
The reason I marked this 'hilarious' was because of your description of the knitters vs. scrapbookers. Brought a smile to my face! I know what you mean though; and I can only conclude that it is because it is such an older art; it has been around for how many years longer than scrapbooking? And so I think there is a certain 'air' that is carried with it; kind of like libraries or something...
Post a Comment