I can't really say it was at home as I spent most of Saturday out running errands and Mycal had staff duty so he wasn't home at all. But overall it was pretty quiet. Because Mycal knew he'd be gone all day Saturday and much of Sunday he was very insistent that we find a babysitter for Friday night. After quite a bit of effort we found one girl who was available. (Come to find out there are over five hundred students in the freshman class of the local high school...where are they hiding them?) She was great! The kids loved her (Liberty so much so that even after I came home she was content to let the babysitter hold her...big deal for Liberty). Mycal and I enjoyed having a dinner without kids. Since we missed the movie and the night life around here is pretty much limited to checking out bars (seriously the tourist brochure recommended night activities are "catch a movie" (just missed it) "play games with the family" (the point of our getting out being not to do that...) and "go to the pool at your hotel, get in and play with your kids!" We decided on the fourth unwritten suggestion (as did quite a few of the adults in the area) wander around Walmart. I had to drop a prescription for Liberty off anyway so we headed on over. Turns out that they wouldn't be able to fill it until Monday so after walking the aisles of Wally World talking and browsing for forty-five minutes we walked out not having spent any money. It's was kind of weird and a little exhilarating. There are many stores that I can walk in and out of without making a purchase but Walmart is rarely one of them as I only ever go there with a purpose.
Saturday was as mentioned pretty busy just getting groceries and taking care of some errands that needed to be done. One small thing of note was me driving over a parking barrier. It was one of those short kind that the wheels just rest against. Having not driven into the spot and having been busy with something in the car I hadn't seen it at all and the way our car as well as the other cars were parked completely hid it. When I went to pull out I decided to pull forward as it was faster and easier. With (honestly) minimal pressure on the gas I went forward and was suddenly over the bump. Aaaah - going over it had been really easy it was the horrible landing sound the car made as the wheels cleared it. It was so awful. All there was to do was back up over it (another horrible landing noise) and check the underside of the car. Everything looks fine and I've been keeping an eye out for leaking fluids but there hasn't seemed to be any problems so far. I of course felt completely miserable about it but to top it all off was Emmuska's incessant reminders to not go over bumps. "Yes I know Emmuska - it was an accident, I didn't see the bump and didn't mean to go over it." "I know it was an accident mommy but you just have to be more careful - don't go over bumps they hurt the car." (said in a very condescending tone of voice - as if the many mysteries of driving are all to clear to her.) A circular conversation constantly coming back to me not driving over bumps for the next hour with periodic reminders throughout the day. I'm going to ahead and guess that the number of mistakes I've repeated since Emmuska began to talk has gone starkly down as it's not worth the never ending reminders "to be more careful" after I've messed up. Kids'll keep you on track.
3 comments:
Heehee, yeah Steph- don't go over bumps! You know you can still see the trail of oil that leaked from that car around the block that one time... I saw it on Sunday and thought of you.Hmm...love you!
For all of you who don't know more about the trail of oil Bonnie is referring to I'm just going to clear up that it wasn't my fault - I hadn't even driven the car in two days when that happened. My car just decided to dump oil. Don't get the wrong idea about my driving.
You really need to put a warning on your posts. Where is my kleenex. I was laughing hysterically on a previous post and now I have tears streaming down my face.
I have decided that reading your blog in lumps (several days at a time) is detrimental to my health. I think it would be more safe to have a 24 hour rest period between each post so I can recover from my aching sides.
Post a Comment