Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Umm...I think not

Emmuska is hilarious. Anytime I ask her a question that has a negative answer she pauses takes a breath in, expelling it in an 'ummm, I think not.' She says it in the way a person sharing their vast knowledge, gently directing a misguided novice would. Like I absolutely believed that she ate her sandwich when I asked and she had the difficult duty to inform me otherwise. I don't know where this child gets her command of English as well as her intonations - (okay I can guess at the use of the language given the environment that surrounds her...)

3 comments:

SuZan said...

I just left the most brilliant response to this post, but it looks like it was lost in cyberspace. I will try to duplicate it but brilliance usually only strikes once in a while, so it may not be possible. AND of course my first comment will find its way home as soon as I post again, but here goes.

I KNOW why Emmuska has such a command of the English language. She was BLESSED with a very GIFTED grandmother who sang language rich songs to her. These included but are not limited to, "Zoom, Zoom, Ain't it Great to Be Crazy", "Mareseatoats", and "I Know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly". These experiences prepared her to be able to use the vast, diversified vocabularies of her incredibly educated parents.

Bonnie said...

Hmm, I certainly like SuZan's reasoning! I just have to add that I can totally picture Emmuska going "Um...I think not" and I find it hilarious!

Anonymous said...

picturing it is what totally makes this story come to life for me; she is so your child!