Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I love Food!!!


Seriously I don't think there is anyway to adequately express how much I love food. Especially in writing. The picture at left can give you a very small idea of what I look like when I talk about food. Ask anyone who has happened to casually mention 'Sure Krispy Kremes are the best donuts out there...' around me and they will tell you the unique passion that is instantly burning in my eyes as I share my love for only one of this great family of treasures. (For the record I have never had a better donut than those made by Dunford Bakeries unfortunately only available between South Salt Lake City and Provo Utah...yeah I lived in Utah and still couldn't get my hands on them very often...but I digress, as often happens when I start to talk about the foods I love.)

Point being I can't get enough of good food. I LOVE it!! I especially love it when I don't have to make it. I have unfortunately come to a sad sort of realization of late. Prepared foods don't taste as good as when I make them. It's really ridiculous. I should be able to buy a tray of brownies from the grocery store and enjoy them - but no for some absurd reason I have to make my own - FROM A BOX! It's not like I'm pulling out all stops and making the dang things from scratch - I'm making them using my favorite kitchen tool - Betty Crocker Mixes. Why do they taste so much better?! I can't even properly enjoy a dessert at a mid range restaurant (or whatever you would put the likes of Olive Garden and Chili's in) they just don't taste as good as when I pull myself together and get to work in my tiny kitchen. (I'm positive that if I hit high end restaurants things would be different...someday I will have to go on a 'fact finding' mission...:) ) The sad thing is that it's spreading. It used to just be baked goods - (which are still okay if I find a truly great bakery) but it's getting to be more and more food items. I've wanted a BLT for at least three months but could not satisfy the craving until I spent five minutes picking out bacon, twenty minutes cooking it and then sticking it on some bread with lettuce and tomato. Honestly how hard could it have been for somebody (read some food vending establishment) to do that? (Now that I think about it - I waited more than three months for less than half an hour worth of work - easy work!? what's wrong with me?)

Anyhow I wanted to share some of my favorite creations in the last couple of days. Keep in mind that I made them and that I am (1) Pregnant (prone to eating copious amounts of food on a whim...) (oh and I guess putting things together in combinations that some would consider weird...) (2) Lazy (I don't like to have tons of prep or clean-up, it takes a little of the joy out of eating as I know I will have to go clean.)

To the left is the sandwich I made the other night. Oh so delicious. While picking up groceries I was informed that it would be wonderful if I could bring Mycal something for lunch whilst he was on staff duty. This cut out a whole lot of options as I obviously couldn't cook something up. Not to fear I headed over to the deli and had some meat and cheese sliced, something I rarely do but always enjoy. I didn't make my sandwich until the next day but when I did was immensely pleased with myself. It's pretty basic just toasted bread with zesty honey mustard, roast beef, baby swiss and tomato with really good pickles on the side. So Delicious! I love it when things come together like this.


These are the Walnut Pancakes topped with fresh strawberries - yes I used Krusteaz and no the strawberries were not quite as yummy as when we lived in California (sigh...) still it was incredible. Loved every bite of the three plates I had. (Actually had enough for a plate the next day - aside from living half an hour away from where the strawberries are grown I don't think it gets much better than that.)

5 comments:

SuZan said...

Now I'm hungry!!! You made your sandwich and pancakes sound DELICIOUS! and your presentation is FANTASTIC! You have inspired me! I wonder what I could make for dinner?????

DaBudges said...

Funny how one of the things that always set you apart from anyone else I knew was that you could eat lots of the really yummy kinds of food, and still look the way you do. So jealous! Anyway, have you found out what you're having? Or are you a "surprise" kind of girl? I read your blog all the time and haven't caught mention of a sex. Just wondering. :D

Bonnie said...

Crazy pregnant lady! Still *sigh* look delectable! I made a BLT at Jakes the other day with the bacon that I had cooked that morning...ooh so so good!

Kay said...

Wondered how long it would take you to "let the cat out of the bag" in such a public forum! ;)

Anonymous said...

I also must admit that I am addicted to food. I handle it a little differently, though...I stop eating. Well, what am I supposed to do? I'm too dang busy, and cooking just isn't high enough on my priority list to spend lots of time on...so unless somebody else makes it for me (which Jake is usually very good about) I resort to less good, quick, easy and cheap fixes...but someday I will be there too...